The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Microsoft's version of usefulness

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Microsoft's version of usefulness Posted: Aug 2, 2003 9:36 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Microsoft's version of usefulness
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
MS' idea of usefulness looks a lot like Sun's ideas - throw a bunch of new API's at the developer community:

But, there are more new APIs being shipped with Longhorn than we've shipped in a long time with Windows. One reason we're gonna show you Longhorn so darn early (the PDC will be about two years before Longhorn will ship) is to give developers time to learn all about it. It will take that long to really get a handle on it. I've been reading all the top secret documents inside Microsoft and it's taken me months to just wrap my brain around what is going on. And I'm not trying to learn all the APIs.

Ok, explain to me how this is a good thing? Why do I want and explosion of new API's? Are they going to be covering actual honest to goodness new ideas, or just new wrappers around stuff we already know how to do - in other words, an unfunded mandate on top of developers?

Read: Microsoft's version of usefulness

Topic: Revenue Models Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: User Hostile Software

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use