The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Bill Kearney, obsessed with Dave Winer

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Bill Kearney, obsessed with Dave Winer Posted: Aug 1, 2003 12:03 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Bill Kearney, obsessed with Dave Winer
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
This explains a lot of the RSS/Echo issues - the politics surrounding RSS 1.0 and RSS 2.0. Here's Bill's morninig rant on RSS:

Ok, so folks have been asking me lately, why is the crap Winer calls 2.0 worse than using the 1.0 format?

Here's one perfect example. Let's say you download an RSS file and save it. Let's say you download a lot of them. Or let's even say your browser, when clicking on RSS files, downloads it and then hands it over (via MIME types) to a local program for handling it. Well, surprise, surprise, a 1.0 file contains it's own URL. The file itself tells you what it's talking about and where it came from. A file using 2.0 has no way to do this. How dumb is that?

Hmm. Let's see - under that criteria

• Web Pages are useless. The url isn't embedded
  • Most XML documents on the web are useless for the same reason

Why do I care if the feed contains an URL? I'm not typically working with RSS files locally, I'm working with them over the net. I get the URL when I grab the feed. If it's redirected, my aggregator silently follows and changes my subscription appropriately. Once I've got an RSS document, it doesn't stay in that format - I create Smalltalk objects from it, and one of those objects - the Feed - knows the URL. And knows how to update the URL on demand.

Bill goes on to explain all the other nifty things RSS 1.0 can do better than 2.0 in a non-blog context - which is fine. For many other uses, I'm sure that 1.0 has more power. For blogs and newsfeeds, RSS 2.0 is simpler and qualifies as good enough. IMHO, RSS 1.0 is overkill for syndication of simple content. Eco/Pie/Atom is moving towards needless complexity as well.

Read: Bill Kearney, obsessed with Dave Winer

Topic: Document-Centric, or use free? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Whoa - this could cost the industry

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use