The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Editing the web, one page at a time

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Editing the web, one page at a time Posted: Jan 15, 2005 11:35 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Editing the web, one page at a time
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Gordon Mohr wants a more open approach to things like DMOZ, and suggests the Wiki model - as used by Wikia - a new web index from the Wikipedia folks:

Is there any information domain where the open, world-writable wiki model can't be beneficially applied?

We're sure to find out, as wikis and wiki-variants appear everywhere.

When frustrated with DMOZ, I've often wished for a more radically open web directory, with submissions and categorizations from anyone, at any time, like a wiki.

Community moderation would curb the worst abuses. Those wishes have been answered: the latest from the folks behind Wikipedia is Wikia, which applies the wiki philosophy to a search index of web sites.

I'm not sure that moderation is enough. Have a look at the Recent Changes page on the VW Wiki at UIUC - see all the "changes" over the last few weeks? There's been a flood of daily spam attacks, with the corresponding promotion of good versions of the pages back up. Gordon notes this:

Why not let any contributor instantly add sites -- even individual pages within sites -- and reorder the results of any search based on users' perception of sites' appropriateness to the query? Well, spammers and system-abusers and ranking-wars, I guess. But could open feedback systems be devised that keep those problems suitably in check? It's worth a try!

I don't know what the Wikipedia site does to prevent spam; maybe they have something like Spam Assassin hooked up on the back end. Relying on user moderation is an endless, thankless task though - and I rather suspect that the maintainers will run out of steam before the spammers do. It really, really sucks how the a******* have ruined the entire neighborhood this way.

Read: Editing the web, one page at a time

Topic: Making the memory fit Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What's next for BottomFeeder?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use