The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
On wrongs and rights

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
On wrongs and rights Posted: Jan 3, 2005 10:53 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: On wrongs and rights
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Patrick Logan takes on Oliver Steele's typing argument in detail:

Since Oliver already points out weaknesses in any one of the scenarios, there is no point attacking them individually. I cannot argue against the whole because I don't see a complete equation that can be analyzed. But I will point out some glaring problems he's passed over.

• Documentation Providing f(a: String, b: Integer): Boolean rather than just f(a, b) is a weak argument. What are f, a, and b? Those names, well chosen, will tell me more than String, Integer, or Boolean. Moreover using Smalltalk's keyword syntax you have even more expressiveness than this Pascal style.
  • Early error detection Test-driven development eliminates the gap between coding and testing. There is no "earlier" time for detecting type errors.
  • Discouraged from writing tests If your language is so bad that programmers are discouraged from writing tests, my friend, well, type declarations are not going to make up the difference.

I don't really buy Oliver's arguments either. As Patrick says, he lists a bunch of drawbacks of static typing, and then somehow claims that all those negatives add up to a positive. He better have an even number of negatives, and be using multiplication...

Read: On wrongs and rights

Topic: Did someone say test? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Maybe a dumb phone?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use