The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Stupid software

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Stupid software Posted: Jan 1, 2005 12:13 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Stupid software
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Comcast decided that there wouldn't be internet service today. Which is mostly not a problem, because we are having a party this afternoon. In the meantime, my wife wanted to print out a grocery list. But nooo - just in case I thought Word was extra stupid, WordPerfect is here to show me a deeper level of insanity - the printserver that is part of WP fails if there's no network connection - even though all I want to do is print to the local printer. Gah!

Ok, so we save the file in RTF to a shared drive - the idea being that I'll pick it up and print from my notebook using Word. Sounds simple, right? All I want to do is grab a file from the local LAN - I have no need to see the internet. Windows networking seems to think differently. Even though I'm only browsing a shared drive on a local PC, each directory navigation is taking something like 60 seconds to navigate - apparently, some deeply stupid part of Windows networking is trying to do a WAN lookup as a navigate the local LAN. It's not just a simple socket timeout thing either - it's taking way too long for that.

I think the problem is that Windows thinks there's a WAN connection, because it was there when Windows booted. I see this in BottomFeeder on Windows - if I bring it up without there having been a network connection, any socket connections time out instantly - whereas they take 20 seconds each if the connection was there and dropped. This is far, far worse though - Windows networking is taking minutes to navigate from directory to directory on the local LAN, when it shouldn't even care about a WAN connection.

The befuddling part is that LAN access from my wife's machine was normal speed - so I was finally able to grab the document by pushing it from her end. Utterly baffling - I have no idea why that should be....

Read: Stupid software

Topic: More options in BottomFeeder Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: XStream: how to serialize objects to non XML formats

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use