The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Aggregating in hotels

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Aggregating in hotels Posted: Oct 27, 2004 11:40 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Aggregating in hotels
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Via Dave Winer comes a link to this fascinating hotel issue with net connections:

Seems Hilton Hotel chains are using a ISP service by a company called Greentree. They watch the outbound traffic of all guest connected computers. I have had intermittent problems with my connection just locking up. Turns out their monitor watches for too many concurrent connections and when a guest computer appears to be doing something it isn't supposed to it locks the offending MAC address out.

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with a Greentree technician today and he determined aggreator which I have set to limit 5 total connections at a time was triggering the filter. We then tried the iPodder program and it did the same thing. Needless to say I am not at all happy as making News Aggreator runs is going to prove to be more difficult.

Now, I've never run across this particular issue in a hotel. I could deal with it by forcing BottomFeeder to do sequential (rather than forked) http queries, but it's never come up. What I have had happen was an unfortunate use of permanent redirect. I was staying at a hotel that had daily rates for net access, and you had to verify the use each day. I made the mistake of leaving Bf online overnight. When I got up, Bf had dutifully folllowed the permanent redirect of all my feeds and updated the urls. Argh! I've since learned to have Bf offline overnight at hotels that do the daily charge thing. Had they used a temp redirect, I would have been ok. Live and learn...

Read: Aggregating in hotels

Topic: Bug in 3.7 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Congratulations to Eric

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use