The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Steve Ballmer, jerk

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Steve Ballmer, jerk Posted: Oct 4, 2004 8:44 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Steve Ballmer, jerk
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Here's one way to make friends and influence people - call most of your prospects in a given market segment thieves. Have a look here for the full interview; here's the relevant bit:

Steve Ballmer: Let me first talk about DRM. Now we've had DRM in Windows for quite some number of years, there's nothing new about that....

Journalist: interrupting Having said that, that hasn't stopped, you know, pirates from running rampant....

SB: Of course not: nothing does! I mean, what's the most common format of music listened to on an iPod?

J: On an iPod....

SB: Stolen! Stolen!

J: confused On an iPod?

SB: Yes. Most people still steal music. laughing The fact that you can buy it and it's protected doesn't affect the fact that most people still steal music. I'd LOVE to say all problems have been solved, whether it's iPod/iTunes -- where Apple has done some nice work, no doubt about it -- but the truth of the matter is we can build these technologies, but as long as there's alternate forms of music acquisition, there will still be ways for people to steal music.

That's right Steve, we're all filthy rotten thieves out here, and unless we have technology that completely locks us into MS approved technology, we'll all go to hell, pigs will fall from the sky, and all manner of bad things will happen. Yes, I've seen how Hollywood has gone broke on videotapes. And I've seen how the music industry fell apart because of audio tapes and CD burners. Yep, it's really too bad that we don't have a movie or music industry anymore - thank goodness we have Steve Ballmer to save us from further rot and ruination.

Here's a tip Steve - put a sock in it. And oh by the way - I will not so much as consider buying any of MS' music solutions - not after hearing this. When I enter that space, it looks like I'll be getting an iPod. Unless you turn on a dime and pay attention to the intelligent words from Scoble on this point, who's trying to clean up your mess. You should listen to him

Read: Steve Ballmer, jerk

Topic: Sustainable development practices Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Looks like I have some work to do

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use