The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Distinctions of an Agile Developer

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Greg Vaughn

Nickname: gvaughn

Greg Vaughn is a naturally introspective and extemporaneous developer primarily using Java.
Distinctions of an Agile Developer Posted: Jul 11, 2003 2:12 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Greg Vaughn.
Original Post: Distinctions of an Agile Developer
Feed Title: Potential Differences
Feed URL: http://gigavolt.net/blog/development/index.rss
Feed Description: Greg Vaughn on Agile methodologies, Java, OS X, whatever piques my interest!
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Greg Vaughn
Latest Posts From Potential Differences

Advertisement

Warning: risk of stereotypes and psychobabble ahead

I’ve been experiencing resistance to Agile methods lately and I’m trying to figure out why. A few other bloggers have begun discussing this and I hope I can add something useful to the conversation. Brian Marick touches on several issues relating personality type/thinking style to testers and Agile methods in general. He references Bret Pettichord’s “Testers and Developers Think Differently” which initially made me wonder if I’d fit better as a tester than as a developer. Brian also ties it in with Alistair Cockburn’s investigation of what sort of personality a business coach needs.

Now, I’ve long been fascinated with the Myers-Briggs style of personality assessments since first being exposed in college (interestingly, it was a Physics class, not Psychology). I’m INTJ with INTP leanings (now you can all pigeonhole me :-) This personality type (or really the more general ‘NT’ — the middle two initials) is a small percentage of the general community, but a large percentage of the software development community, so I believe that the differences between Agile and un-Agile (for lack of a better, non-perjorative term) developers must be a second order effect.

These ‘NT’ (Rational) types learn to trust in their intelligence, often basing their own self-image around it, which is usually compounded by their awkwardness in social situations and the corresponding belittling during adolescence. Though we don’t like to admit it, we ‘rationals’ do carry emotional baggage as Chrisitan Sepulveda explores. As a friend, Paul Holser, put it “we all want to be Spock, but are really McCoy underneath all that.”

Agile development requires a large amount of humility. We have to trust that practices such as TDD (Test Driven Development) might lead to better software than what we could develop purely via our own creative processes. And if it doesn’t then the problem might be us rather than the method. To someone who’s self-image is largely centered on their own intelligence, this hits mighty close to home and evokes emotional defenses. Ironic in such rationally centered people. My working model is that it takes maturity to reach humility, but I’m not particularly satisfied with that because I can envision the argument “you don’t agree with me because you’re immature and I’m not, so nyah.” I also wonder if there’s a faith aspect too because it can cause one to re-center their self image on something beyond themself thereby avoiding that emotional threat, but that’s not something we ‘rationals’ talk about much, so it’s tough to tell.

One of the keys of the Agile Manifesto is valuing “individuals and interactions over processes and tools”. It’s people oriented. That’s what has been leading me down this path of trying to understand people and their resistance. The manifesto makes it sound so common-sensical, so adaptable, and so applicable in all circumstances, but I’m starting to discover that valuing individuals includes knowing when to stop pushing. So at what point to I stop trying to convince people that Agile development would improve their situation and simply look for a new situation for myself? Is Agile Methodology just a “birds of a feather flock together” sort of mindset? Anybody know of some healthy flocks?

Read: Distinctions of an Agile Developer

Topic: Smalltalk Solutions Plug of the Day, 7/2/03 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Ottawa STUG - a new Smalltalk

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use