The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Gordon comments on the RSS imbrogolio

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Gordon comments on the RSS imbrogolio Posted: Jun 29, 2003 3:44 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Gordon comments on the RSS imbrogolio
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Gordon Weakliem has the best summary on this yet:

In the two links that Dare pointed to, I identified three problems with RSS 2.0:

• The spec's ambiguous about what can go into <description>, in particular, the practice of putting in escaped HTML is considered a bad idea. Tim Bray endorses either plain text or well formed xhtml; both seem like reasonable options.

• The handling of relative URIs needs to be clarified.

• It's not clear whether the tag should be used for a permalink or an external link.

When I realized that, I wondered what the controversy was about - it seems like these issues could be ironed out fairly quickly and Echo could get on with putting together a weblogging API.

Dare also mentions politics as being a driver behind Echo. Evidently, this is what the controversy's about. I think that it's a terrible thing to even tacitly admit this sentiment into your mission. I've never yet found software that can fix interpersonal relationships. When all's said and done and Echo is a reality, the same people will still be around, disliking each other.

Pretty much the size of it.....

Read: Gordon comments on the RSS imbrogolio

Topic: Maintainability patterns Previous Topic    

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use