The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
hammers and nails

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
hammers and nails Posted: Jul 30, 2004 9:40 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: hammers and nails
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

It's nice to be placed in the same category with Paul Graham, but I think I'm being a little misunderstood. Here's what I mean:

There are some software development pundits from the world of obscure languages who have lots of really smart stuff to say, like Paul Graham and James Robertson, whose hatred of popular languages just has to be glossed over if you expect to be able to read them. I think that they're so offended that their language of choice (Lisp, Smalltalk, or whatever) never hit the big time that they just can't see other, more popular languages all that rationally. I know they'd tell me that they hate Java or C# or whatever because they handcuff your productivity when compared to the obscure language that they favor, and they may even be right.

It's not a matter of hating C# or Java - I recognize them as rather large scale improvements over C++, the programming language from hell. What I'd like to see is less auto-decision making going on. Instead of "well of course we'll use Java", I'd like to see people actually think. I've seen people using EJB and three tier set ups for problems that could best be solved by Access, for instance. What I mostly object to the sheer volume of hammer/nail thinking in the IT industry.

Read: hammers and nails

Topic: Smalltalk CSS generation Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Everything old is new again

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use