The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Idle-ing when no one's interested

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Idle-ing when no one's interested Posted: Jul 28, 2004 5:45 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Idle-ing when no one's interested
Feed Title: Travis Griggs - Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/travis-rss.xml
Feed Description: This TAG Line is Extra
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Travis Griggs - Blog

Advertisement
I have an object which polls data. Anytime it gets meaningful data, it triggers an event. The problem with this object is that it creates and maintains a process. And processes are one of those objects that don't just magically detect when you're not interested in what they're doing and GC. You have to turn them off. If you've got an object with 0...N interested observers, who decided when to stop the process?

In this case, it turns out that if I could determine when I have 1 or more observers and when that changes, I could start and stop the process accordingly. So I set to do such a thing.

If you've done your own efficiently observed object, then you know that doing so is a matter of three things:

1. Add an ivar to your object (often called eventHandlers).
  2. implement myEventTable which returns your new ivar.
  3. implement myEventTable: which sets your new ivar as the argument .

Armed with such a knowledge, I figured I could just override myEventTable: and update my data gathering process state there. Thinking that myEventTable: was used anytime a change was made to the observable's observed state. Turns out that's not quite what you want though.

There's another method called setActionList:forEvent:. This appears to be the work horse of event table management, including removal. By implementing:

MyClass>>setActionList: aList forEvent: anEvent
	super setActionList: aList forEvent: anEvent
	self updateProcessState

i was able to automagically have the process run/stop based on whether anybody was listening. Seems to work pretty well so far, at least the following test seemed to pass:

testLoopManagement
	| block1 block2 |
	self deny: loop isPolling.
	block1 := [:arg | ].
	block2 := [:arg | ].
	loop
		when: #newStats
		send: #value:
		to: block1.
	self assert: loop isPolling.
	loop
		when: #newStats
		send: #value:
		to: block2.
	loop removeAllActionsWithReceiver: block1.
	loop removeAllActionsWithReceiver: block2.
	self deny: loop isPolling

Read: Idle-ing when no one's interested

Topic: Speaking at ANU tomorrow Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: James Newkirk on Integrating Unit Testing into the Software Development Lifecycle

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use