The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Another day out in Sydney

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Another day out in Sydney Posted: Jul 18, 2004 3:49 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Another day out in Sydney
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Today's weather wasn't quite so good, but I headed downtown anyway. I got to Darling Harbor about 10, and walked down to the Maritime Museum. That was a long, cold walk - it was on the opposite side of the harbor from where I started, and the wind was really whipping around. The museum was quite nice - there's nice US/Australia friendship display at the front - it was put up back in the late 80's for the bicentennial of the founding of the first British colony here. The museum has a lot of other interesting displays as well - lots of information on the harbor, on the history of the 19th century whaling industry, and on the development of the harbor area through time. I spent a couple of enjoyable hours there before going back out to brave the elements.

It was a cold walk in search of lunch - I wasn't about to pick one of the carry out places that expect you to eat at an outside table! I stumbled on a place called "The Meat and Wine Co." - and it was a nice place, with an interesting menu. I selected a nice grilled chicken dish and a glass of wine - they warned me about the hot sauce before I tried it, and they weren't kidding! It was a good, filling lunch. They had an interesting frozen berry mousse concoction for dessert - it was quite good, although I think my wife would like it better than I did - she loves tart desserts.

After lunch I decided to duck into the IMAX theater and catch "Ghosts of the Abyss" - a nice little gem of a movie that documents Cameron's filming of the Titanic. It was something else in IMAX 3D - well worth seeing. The footage of the 1st class dining room windows alone was worth the price of admission - highly recommended.

After the movie, I had to figure out what to do with the rest of the afternoon. I headed over to the Sydney Tower, but the ticket agent convinced me that it was better to wait until dark - the cloud cover would make for a dull view during the day. She whisked out a map and gave me some quick advice. Off I went to Hyde Park, a nice little park in downtown Sydney. At one end is the Anzac Memorial, built after the first world war. The entrances were blocked, with no reason given. It's a very somber building - reminded me of a lot of the Civil War memorials I've seen in the northeast and midwest US. I walked back up the park towards the fountain - the trees on either side of the path offer a very "Cathedral" type framing of the park - very nice effect. Midway down was a spire dedicated in 1857 by the (then) mayor of Sydney, but there was no further explanation. I'm kind of curious as to what it was built to commemorate!

I kep going down the street, passing the Convicts Barracks Museum. I was tempted, but by now it was nearly 4:00 pm, and I wanted to get into the Sydney Museum. It's small (which is good, I only left myself 45 minutes to see it!) - but quite interesting. It has a nice section on the history of the city, including a mockup of the way the city looked in the 1840's. There was a section on the (apparently famous) Red Cedars of Australia, and a lot on the early history of the city. It didn't take long to go through, but it was worth seeing.

I headed out around 5 - couldn't cut back through the Botanical Gardens (they were closing at dark). So I headed back to the Tower, since the sun had set and it was getting dark. Sydney Tower is a lot like the Tower in Toronto, or the one in Tokyo - offers quite a spectacular view of the city all the same. I bought a couple of things to take home, and headed back to the train station. A few minutes on city rail, and I was back at the hotel in Chatswood. It was a nice day (if cold from the wind). I probably don't have any more tourist time this trip - next week is going to be busy with talks and customer visits. I should definitely come back here when it's summer locally.

Read: Another day out in Sydney

Topic: Smalltalk in Canberra Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Newspaper mode enhanced

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use