The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Some Bf questions answered

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Some Bf questions answered Posted: Jul 2, 2004 3:52 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Some Bf questions answered
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

In this post, I asked for some feedback on Bf. I got quite a bit, thanks! I should explain a few things to make it clear how and why some things are the way they are:

• Startup times - startup can be slow after updates have been downloaded. Why? Well, because patches are newer versions of parcels (components) that are already loaded into the system. I ship a base image (or exe on Windows) with the parcels pre-loaded, since there are 15 components that can be updated. If they are loaded at startup, it would be slower (yes, I've tested this :) )

The question I got asked is - "Can you save the image after patches are loaded?" Well, no. On Windows, I have a merged executable and image - so it's not really a possibility. But beyond that, saving an image at such a point would put it into a different state than the known startup state. Patches can also be loaded on the fly, without restarting - a save in that case would also save all current application level state - not something you would want. This aspect of the system is what it is, more or less - unless someone can come up with a brilliant idea that I haven't thought of...

• During update cycle bf 'hiccups' too much, sometimes I have to wait multiple seconds before the app responds to a mouse click.

Well, that's simply some kind of name resolution or network access issue - it's a general problem with network applications. If Bf becomes completely unresponsive, it means that a network access is waiting at the VM level. This is a general issue that I've asked our engineers (VW engineers) about

• Redo of the folders

Rich and I have talked a lot about this - it's something we will likely approach when we make the cutover to Pollock.

Read: Some Bf questions answered

Topic: Making tests more automatic Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Tom Nies honored

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use