The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
My BottomFeeder Wish List

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
My BottomFeeder Wish List Posted: Jul 2, 2004 8:54 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: My BottomFeeder Wish List
Feed Title: Richard Demers Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rademers-rss.xml
Feed Description: Richard Demers on Smalltalk
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Richard Demers Blog

Advertisement

My BottomFeeder Wish List

Jim Robertson asked for suggestions for improvements to the BottomFeeder aggregator. There have been lots of good ideas expressed! Here are a few more:

1. Drop support for Favorites, or make it something useful. I confess that this was my idea originally; it was an attempt to make BF an "Internet Console," supporting a variety of ways to interact with the Internet. Instead, BF has evolved into a high-function aggregator. In any case, Favorites was implemented as a type of pseudo-feed that isn't very useful, instead of being something like the Favorites of M$'s Internet Explorer.
  2. Rework the tree structure. Instead of having separate tree roots for Subscriptions, Feedlists and Searches, rework trees as simply a way for users to organize their feeds.
  3. Make "subscribed" a user-specifiable property of a feed, rather than something it gets from the folder it is in.
  4. Drop Feedlists as a separate kind of object. Instead, allow folders to act as feedlists:
    • Allow a folder to be imported/exported as an OPML file; that is, with items that are just links to feeds.
    • Allow a folder to "subscribe" to a syndicator (eg., Syndic8) so that its list of feeds can be updated more automatically.
    • Allow users to act as syndicators for each other.
  5. Handle the pseudo-feeds created by Searches and "Build" commands as dynamic feeds whose contents are defined by a query to a specified server; said query to be executed on-demand or on some schedule.
  6. Support tabs for easy navigation to alternate, concurrently available, user-defined views of feeds and their items; for example, one tab to a view of an item in Jim's Blog, a second tab to a newsfeed item, and a third tab to a query feed item.
  7. Handle the tree as a separate sub-window that is shown on user-demand (by a toolbar tool), regardless of how the items of a feed are being shown.
  8. Better integration of BottomFeeder's documentation into its user interface. Currently there are links to the User's Guide and Tutorial through the Help menu. These links open browser pages to the documents, but users then need to search their Tables of Contents to find specific information. It would be better if the user interface supported context-sensative links to the correct information.

Read: My BottomFeeder Wish List

Topic: Glad I switched Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Agility and Service

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use