The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
DHTML KISS

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Greg Vaughn

Nickname: gvaughn

Greg Vaughn is a naturally introspective and extemporaneous developer primarily using Java.
DHTML KISS Posted: Jun 26, 2003 10:25 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Greg Vaughn.
Original Post: DHTML KISS
Feed Title: Potential Differences
Feed URL: http://gigavolt.net/blog/development/index.rss
Feed Description: Greg Vaughn on Agile methodologies, Java, OS X, whatever piques my interest!
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Greg Vaughn
Latest Posts From Potential Differences

Advertisement

I’ve been tardy in following up to the previous entries about my adventure in dhtml. Well, the floating, transparent div was a problem too. The goal was to highlight a column, but floating the div over the top of the text just served to make it harder to read. Back to the drawing board…

I fell back to the very first thing I thought of but quickly moved past because it seemed too inelegant, inefficient. Shame on me. Now I have the javascript looping over all the td’s in the table and setting the background color of each — either to the highlight color if the column is correct, or to the background color of the row otherwise (to remove the previous highlight if it existed). There’s no performance problem and this is actually more cross-browser friendly. I’m humbled. I’ve given talks including the point of the ‘evil’ of premature optimization, but it is so easy to fall into.

Read: DHTML KISS

Topic: Maintainability patterns Previous Topic    

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use