The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Developing and Testing Mindsets

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Greg Vaughn

Nickname: gvaughn

Greg Vaughn is a naturally introspective and extemporaneous developer primarily using Java.
Developing and Testing Mindsets Posted: Jun 26, 2003 9:24 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Greg Vaughn.
Original Post: Developing and Testing Mindsets
Feed Title: Potential Differences
Feed URL: http://gigavolt.net/blog/development/index.rss
Feed Description: Greg Vaughn on Agile methodologies, Java, OS X, whatever piques my interest!
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Greg Vaughn
Latest Posts From Potential Differences

Advertisement

Mike Clark writes about tearing down the barriers between testers and developers. I’m all for that, but I’m not convinced that abolishing the terms “QA” and “tester” is the right approach.

At my current job, one of the resons I was hired was to get a test driven mindset into the development community. One of the things I had to do was to make sure that the testers did not feel threatened by this push. I’ve gotten to know the testers and have begun reading articles and blogs from testers. I believe there are important differences in the skills and mindsets of good testers and developers, and I want to mine that before the distinctions of the titles are taken into question.

Test Driven Development is primarily a design tool, and secondarily a verification tool — and even as a verification tool it is woefully incomplete. It focuses only on the small scale. Testers focus on the verification angle — the design is secondary to their task. They’re looking mostly at a functional or system level of granularity, and this is much closer to the level the users are going to judge the quality of the software from.

Our lead tester told me the other day that she comes from a programming background, but ssshhh…. don’t tell anyone because she hates doing it. I replied that I don’t have the tolerance of detail that she has and would hate being a tester, but that I have great respect for the job they do. I still don’t have a complete picture in my mind if what the fundamental difference is. Programming certainly requires attention to detail, but it is different somehow. I’m going to be exploring this more in upcoming blog entries and try to understand what and how we can learn from each other to further our common goal of better software.

Read: Developing and Testing Mindsets

Topic: Maintainability patterns Previous Topic    

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use