The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
About that Joel Article...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
About that Joel Article... Posted: Jun 17, 2004 3:16 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: About that Joel Article...
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Over on Planet Lisp, I found this reference to Joel's post from today:

The real significant productivity advance we've had in programming has been from languages which manage memory for you automatically. It can be with reference counting or garbage collection; it can be Java, Lisp, Visual Basic (even 1.0), Smalltalk, or any of a number of scripting languages.

Incredibly, there's more:

Whenever you hear someone bragging about how productive their language is, they're probably getting most of that productivity from the automated memory management, even if they misattribute it.

Wow! I haven't been in the mainstream developer community since, well, never, so I've always just kind of put up with the fact that I'm different; I don't understand them, they don't understand me, but, wow!, the chasm just seems to be getting wider and deeper.

Along the same lines, I'd direct you (and Joel) over here. Have a look at what kinds of things Smalltalk enables, and then see whether you still think that GC is all there is to the productivity gap. And heck, I haven't even gotten into the quagmire of primitive data types

Read: About that Joel Article...

Topic: Can we sandbox in VisualWorks? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Dumb and dumber

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use