The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
withWithWithWith... style

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
withWithWithWith... style Posted: Jun 15, 2004 1:25 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: withWithWithWith... style
Feed Title: Travis Griggs - Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/travis-rss.xml
Feed Description: This TAG Line is Extra
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Travis Griggs - Blog

Advertisement
The base image comes with 4 variants of the with:+ message implemented on 3 collection classes (Collection, ArrayedCollection, MappedPalette).

What happens when you need 5? Many add a with:with:with:with:with message. Most will notice that they need to clone the 4 argument version in both Collection (uses add:) and ArrayedCollection (uses at:put:). Key has such an extension; I've seen sites that have up to 7 (what's the highest you've seen?). One thing I did not catch, was that this allows MappedPalette to respond to the 5 arg version, but not having its own implementation, it fails. But I digress.

The other day, I turned to the nameles one next to me and said, "I need 6." Some shy at these ad-with:eam messages. It just feels wrong in some cases to see code like this. One place that I feel it is legitimately handy though is in tests. And I write lots of those.

The more I thought about the pattern, I realized this is just varargs (varargs is the C languages ability to specify a function(a,b,....) where the .... denotes a variable number of arguments). It's nice to be able to specify a collection from a vararg like construct. We don't have such a syntax in Smalltalk. And I'd hate to see one added.

So I implemented this message on the class side of Collection.

doesNotUnderstand: aMessage 
	(self isRepeatedWiths: aMessage selector) 
		ifTrue: [^self withAll: aMessage arguments].
	^super doesNotUnderstand: aMessage

and its helper

isRepeatedWiths: aSelector 
	aSelector runsFailing: [:each | each = $:]
		do: [:run | run = 'with' ifFalse: [^false]].
	^true

This is really cool, I think. I no longer need with: in my system. Nor do I need with:with:. Or the 3, 4 versions. Or our 5 arg one. Or the looked for 6 one. I've replaced 3 x 5 messages with 1. And when I need 9 with:'s, it'll just work. Basically we've created a vararg message selector pattern for Collection creation. For MappedPalette, one has to implement withAll: which forrwards to withColors: (this seems like an oversight on the base image's part).

Notice that we don't even send a multi arg message, we just use aMessage's arguments lists. We've made this pattern build upon withAll:, so adding new types of collection to the system, you just have to make sure that one method is implemented appropriately, no need to worry about overriding all of the with: variants. Collection, by questioning what he doesn't understand, is all the more useful.

Read: withWithWithWith... style

Topic: Colorful Extensions Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Succeeding with Objects

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use