The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Blog Spam

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Blog Spam Posted: Jun 13, 2004 8:24 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Blog Spam
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

The blog comment spam problem doesn't seemm to be subsiding - have a look at this post from last week, for instance. This site - my blog and the community blogs really haven't been affected much - there's been a handful of spam over the last year, and it was in ones and twos. There's a pretty simple reason for that - I'm not using one of the popular blogging systems. Now, it's not that any of those systems are at fault - it's that due to their popularity, it's worthwhile for spambot authors to target the comment entry systems of these blogging systems - for exactly the same reasons that there are scads of Windows based viruses and worms, and virtually none for the Mac platform. The target eco-sphere for Windows (or popular blogs) is big enough to warrant bots, while the target eco-sphere of the Mac (or off brand blog systems) is too small.

That's why I get the occasional manually entered (and easy to get rid of) spam comment, but I don't get the absolute floods of spam (like the one mentioned in the link above). Is there a solution to this? Sure, there are plenty of technically feasible solutions (the simplest being to just change the field names in your templates). The difficulty is always in the side effects (common posting tools may no longer be able to "see" your site at all). The various IP based throttles are semi-workable, but blocking that way can be anti-social in the face of proxy servers. The medium term result is most likely going to be a steady decline in the number of blogs with open comment systems...

Read: Blog Spam

Topic: BottomFeeder Goodies That Could Be Generalized Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Why email is broken

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use