The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Re: Science is a religion

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Re: Science is a religion Posted: Jun 12, 2004 9:41 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Re: Science is a religion
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Ted Leung spots a couple of posts (here and here) that make an interesting assertion:

science is the modern world's new superstition

This is truer than many people would like to admit, especially highly educated folks. I saw this a lot when I was an undergraduate. There were various members of the faculty at MIT that would loudly proclaim their understanding and mastery on various aspects of natural science. I always viewed this with some suspicion, and I always appreciated the professors who would get to a certain point and say "and we just don't understand how it works here"

Very much the case. Watch coverage of various "hot button" political issues that look to science for their backing arguments (from any side of the spectrum; this seems to be an equal opportunity thing) - and watch for arguments you might call "Scientific Argument by Assertion", or "My Expert is better than Your Expert".

Read: Re: Science is a religion

Topic: SDL in VisualWorks Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: CST Futures

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use