The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Overheard in a Java group

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Overheard in a Java group Posted: May 28, 2004 11:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Overheard in a Java group
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I saw this in a Java newsgroup:

Java used to be my favorite language until I learned Smalltalk. Its probably best you don't learn Smalltalk.

The following is part of a message I posted a few months ago in another newsgroup:

I used to be a big fan of statically types languages. A while go I read some productivity reports that showed C/C++ as the base productivity and compared other languages to it. Java rated about 2-3 times the productivity of C/C++. Smalltalk rated about 8-9 times the productivity of C/C++. Oddly Smalltalk software had less defects then C/C++, and Java which surprised me.

Me being a statically typed language guy at the time thought the numbers were a bunch of BS. I actually learned Smalltalk to prove to myself the numbers were wrong. After learning Smalltalk and using it in my spare time for over a year I came to the conclusion that I don't like Java, or C++.

My advice to other developers is don't learn Smalltalk. After learning Smalltalk writing in other languages is annoying because software development in Smalltalk is just so much easier. Its more satisfying developing software in languages such as Java and thinking "Well, its a very popular language so it must be good." rather then knowing the alternatives and cringing every time you write a line of code in Java because of all the broken features in the language.

Speaks for itself...

Read: Overheard in a Java group

Topic: How to encourage code bloat Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Agile Management reading list for engineers

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use