The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
The "Sun is doomed" meme spreads

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
The "Sun is doomed" meme spreads Posted: Apr 30, 2004 5:43 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: The "Sun is doomed" meme spreads
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

ABC News to Sun: Drop Dead. This summarizes their take pretty well:

It is no longer enough to blame the high-tech recession for all of Sun's blues; other companies - including some even worse hit, like Yahoo! and Cisco - are making strong comebacks.

Sun is not coming back. It is a giant company without a business.

That's pretty much been my take - they spent too much time fighting the wrong war (Microsoft), and too much money on a software business (Java) with minimal revenues. The deal with MS was a desperation move, not a masterstroke. Here's an email I just got from someone (this story was pointed out to me in email):

BTW, we have more than 1000 Linux blades in the business. Nobody here talks about upgrading expensive Sun boxes anymore.

That's not the only company I know of making that kind of call. Heck, our engineering group is looking at a new file server. The old one was a Sun box, and it's not looking likely that we'll replace it with a Sun box. It's a huge problem for Sun, and I don't see an answer for them...

Read: The "Sun is doomed" meme spreads

Topic: A Seattle evening at StS 2004 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Playing with VW

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use