The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Chris Pratley on Word

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Chris Pratley on Word Posted: Apr 27, 2004 8:46 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Chris Pratley on Word
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Chris Pratley, the Program Management manager for Word (amongst other things) discusses Word and its movement from "worst to first" in market share. It's an interesting read, and explains one thing very clearly (at least to me) - Word was a far, far better product back when it had meaningful competition. At this point, Word's developers have utterly forgotten what end users want, and it shows. What do I mean? Well, here's my list of irritations with Word - none of them utterly crippling, but the collection would make me switch products in a heartbeat if a decent competitor existed. Word Perfect isn't it, because it mostly stinks in the same ways (my Wife uses it).

It didn't used to be this way - I recall liking Word for Windows 2.0. It stayed out of my way, and did what I wanted. The current product mostly gets in my way, and does things I dislike:

• Bullets and Numbering - yes, I've mentioned this before. However, I shouldn't have to use copy/paste to ensure that a bullet goes where I want it. This part of Word is just broken
  • Those adjusting menus - they drive me nuts, because all my learned behavior from older versions of Word is shot. When I pull a menu, the items aren't where I expect them - and often aren't there at all until I pull the whole menu. It ought to be easy to turn this off - but the options don't look obvious to me
  • The HTML export - the HTML created is a mess. Does no one in Redmond actually know HTML? Based on Word, my guess would be "no".

Doesn't look like a long list, does it? It's not - but the mess with bullets ticks me off every time I use the product. It's a constant, low level irritation, just like the menu thing. The irritation is exacerbated by the knowledge that this stuff used to work - I know that I did not have to fight bullet lists every step of the way in WfW 2.0. It's been a downhill slide since 2.0, as far as I'm concerned - regardless of what the reviewers have said...

Read: Chris Pratley on Word

Topic: Squeak update at StS 2004 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Re: Isaac Asimov is Rolling in His Grave

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use