The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
never optimize early

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
never optimize early Posted: Apr 21, 2004 10:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: never optimize early
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Bob Congdon imparts some words of wisdom on optimizing. Nothing new or earth shattering, but something that far too many people ignore - I've fallen victim to early optimization more than once myself:

Optimization matters only when it matters. When it matters, it matters a lot, but until you know that it matters, don't waste a lot of time doing it. Even if you know it matters, you need to know where it matters. Without performance data, you won't know what to optimize, and you'll probably optimize the wrong thing.
The result will be obscure, hard to write, hard to debug, and hard to maintain code that doesn't solve your problem. Thus it has the dual disadvantage of (a) increasing software development and software maintenance costs, and (b) having no performance effect at all.

Too many times I've been at a customer site and had an exchange like this:

Them: Your product is too slow
Me: Have you profiled? Do you know know what's slow?
Them: No, we haven't profiled. But we know the problem is in (insert some vendor library here)

Invariably, I've whipped out the profiler, and found that the problem wasn't where they thought it was. Sometimes it is Cincom code; we are hardly perfect. However, it's almost never been where the developers thought it was....

Read: never optimize early

Topic: Everyone re-invents Smalltalk Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: UML fever

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use