The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Edit Continue vs. Test-Driven Development

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Edit Continue vs. Test-Driven Development Posted: Apr 1, 2004 4:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Edit Continue vs. Test-Driven Development
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Spotted this on edit and continue in jaybaz_MS's WebLog:

You now have a situation where a simple unit test%A0is only a couple function%A0calls away from any bug.%A0 Compare to the Einstein case I mentioned earlier, and you'll see that complex repro scenarios are comparitively rare.%A0 You can reproduce the faliure in seconds - just run the unit tests.

When that cycle is so short, E&C doesn't help nearly as much.%A0

The "Einstein" reference is in relation to an internal to MS view on various developer types; I'll have to post on that at some point. Here though, I see something interesting - MS is only just starting to support the kind of immediacy (edit and continue) that Smalltalk supports so much better than they do - and their developers just don't see the value. Amazing. I used a TDD approach when developing my MarkupHelper (for the blog posting tool), and it was so much easier to do since I could look at stuff in the debugger and change it right there - without having to run back to some different tool. Interesting difference in viewpoints at the very least...

Read: Edit Continue vs. Test-Driven Development

Topic: Multiple version management in Smalltalk at StS Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Quiet...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use