The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Character encoding and RSS

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Character encoding and RSS Posted: Mar 24, 2004 6:35 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Character encoding and RSS
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

BitWorking comments on how hard character encoding is to get right:

Character encoding is hard. Really. If I could point to one thing that causes feeds to be invalid more than anything else, it would be character encoding.

This is the primary reason that BottomFeeder does not reject bad feeds - it just ignores bad characters to the largest extent that it can and moves on. The reality is, feeds move in and out of well-formedness on a regular basis. There are so many people posting so much content from so large a set of tools, that it's simply unrealistic to expect ongoing perfection. I periodically get errors in some of the CST feeds - I'm not entirely certain how, because it's nearly always a comment that came from - somewhere. Easy enough to fix when I notice, but I don't always notice. I'm pretty sure other content producers have the same problem - most of them aren't hosting the server themselves, and most of them have minimal control over whatever it is that the server does. It's not that anyone wants to create malformed content - it just happens. In the meantime, content consumers still want to read the content, even if it has a few bad characters in it for a period of time. Stating that client side applications should just reject that content out of hand is simply anti-social, IMHO. Sure, notify the user that there's a problem with the content, and let them contact the provider if they feel like it. In the meantime, you shouldn't punish grandma because of an error she has no control over...

Read: Character encoding and RSS

Topic: StS 2004 - Time to register! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: There's nothing like source access

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use