The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Productivity and Cost

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Productivity and Cost Posted: Mar 18, 2004 12:44 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Productivity and Cost
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

One of the interesting things to me is how many people will say things like "Yes, Smalltalk is more productive, but...". The next thing you'll get is some statement about how hard it is to find Smalltalkers, or about how the syntax is wrong (what, developers can't learn a new language?). You'll get the same complaints about any niche language - Lisp, Ruby, Python, Scheme - they all get tarred with the same brush.

Heck, the major analyst groups are particularly bad about this - Gartner will admit that Smalltalk is more productive (i.e., will deliver results faster at a lower cost) - and then tell you to use Java or C#. It's always high school in the hallowed halls of Gartner, and all that matters is being close to the "popular" crowd. When you look at the data from SPR (I'm getting the actual tables from SPR; they charge for them now) - you can see hard data backing this up. The tragedy is, this is old news.

Need a more recent example of the productivity? Have a look at all the excitement surrounding continuation based web applications - and then note that none of that is happening in C# or Java (there's some in JavaScript). Why is that? Well, Java and C# - i.e., the mainstream so valued by the analysts - simply doesn't support it. If you want to have a chance of finding the next big thing, you can't find it in the mainstream. If you want a chance to find something truly innovative, you have to be willing to look elsewhere....

Read: Productivity and Cost

Topic: PM and Engineering Tensions Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: SOAP - CORBA, only less so

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use