The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Rebooting appliances?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Rebooting appliances? Posted: Mar 3, 2004 1:24 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Rebooting appliances?
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Cafe au Lait points to this question - "Think about it: have you ever had to reboot your microwave?" . Well, just like the Cafe Au Lait guy, I've noticed an increasing number of common appliances that need to be rebooted. My microwave, no. However:

• My minivan sometimes has spurious sensor malfunctions that light up the "check engine" light. A trip to the mechanic results in a hardware reset for the sensor in question, with no repair needed. I've had this more than once; the last one ended up pushing my annual pollution check on the car back
  • My stereo receiver - a very nice Sony unit - sometimes refuses to play audio for any devices. It's clearly receiving signal from radio, or the CD or the DVD - it just won't play audio. Powering on/off doesn't work; I have to unplug and count to about 20, then plug it back in.
  • We have two Replay TV's in the house, and they are supposed to be aware of each other - allowing streaming A/V between them. Periodically, they "forget" that there's another machine on the network, and have to be rebooted.

This is all due to the spreading of embedded systems to appliances and other devices. One of the things it's pointing out to me is that the people who write embedded software don't seem to be significantly better at catching boundary issues than the rest of the developer community is. Kind of makes me wonder about some of the truly mission critical systems out there....

Read: Rebooting appliances?

Topic: More customer visits Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How to make money in (insert niche here)

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use