The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
That'll help with morale

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
That'll help with morale Posted: Feb 2, 2004 4:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: That'll help with morale
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
CSC is working on killing morale:

Workers at CSC's San Diego Regional Center (SDRC) found out that there will be no holidays or sick days allowed through the end of the fiscal year, according to docs obtained by The Register. The is the second year in a row that employees have been forced to give up their vacation days to meet lofty productivity goals, and the practice has left a bad feeling in the workplace.

"Apparently, the SDRC have made a bad business forecast, and we loyal worker bees are supposed to rescue them by forgoing vacation," writes one disgruntled employee. "They basically want everyone to take 2 weeks vacation and our 9 holidays and never get sick. Many of us acrue 3 or 4 weeks vacation per year."

That has to be one of the most clueless things I've read about in a long while - and having worked at ParcPlace back in the day, that's saying a lot. Reminds me of a gig I did at American Airlines (years ago) when I worked for Booz-Allen. One day, the project lead on the Sabre side had a meeting with the project lead from our side, and said something like: "I work 12 hour days - your people should work 12 hour days". So we were told to:

• Work 12 hour shifts
  • Only claim 8 hours a day for billing purposes

Morale stank on that job. We all pulled 12 hour days - but a lot of that time was spent doing crosswords, playing computer games, drinking coffee, and just hanging out. It baffles me as to what managers are thinking when they decide that they can get something for nothing from their staff - there's always a price - it just might be delayed or deferred...

Read: That'll help with morale

Topic: A simple proposal Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Quotes3

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use