The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
If design is the answer, what is the question ?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Laurent Bossavit

Nickname: morendil

Laurent Bossavit's obsession is project effectiveness through clear and intentional conversations
If design is the answer, what is the question ? Posted: Jan 8, 2004 11:32 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Laurent Bossavit.
Original Post: If design is the answer, what is the question ?
Feed Title: Incipient(thoughts)
Feed URL: http://bossavit.com/thoughts/index.rdf
Feed Description: You're in a maze of twisty little decisions, all alike. You're in a maze of twisty little decisions, all different.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Laurent Bossavit
Latest Posts From Incipient(thoughts)

Advertisement

I've always liked Frank Patrick's take on project management: Frank asks, "If project management is the answer, what is it an answer to ? What is the question ?" And the question is - "What should I be working on ?"

Frank's concern with finding the appropriate question - not just the answer - stems, I think, from a frustration with discussions of the "how's" and "why's" of project management techniques - discussions which can easily lose sight of why our projects need managing in the first place. You may not agree that the above is the question which project management needs to answer. But knowing what question needs answering focuses your search for answers.

We could take the same tack with respect to issues of software design. After following endless discussions on aspects of software design ranging from "Is it actually the case that coupling is bad and cohesion is good" to "Is all duplication actually bad" to "How should one represent association, composition and aggregation" - it is a good thing to come up for air once in a while and ask, What is the question ? Good design principles in software are the answer, but the answer to what ?

I'm not going to answer that today.

Read: If design is the answer, what is the question ?

Topic: Software and Magic Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Heh - how the world will end

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use