The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Open Source in Politics

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Open Source in Politics Posted: Dec 29, 2003 12:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Open Source in Politics
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Windley points out that the Clark Campaign is embracing open source. Meanwhile, Dave Winer isn't too pleased by this:

Wouldn't it be great if Dean and Clark went after Viacom, ClearChannel and Time-Warner, instead of the tiny companies that make blogging and social networking tools.

I find myself hoping they get their asses kicked, hard. I don't expect much of Bush, but I doubt seriously that he would undermine the mostly American software industry by competing with it with free software. Makes the Dems' pitch about exporting American high-tech jobs to India fairly hollow (NH is a high-tech state, so it has been an issue).

There's some self interest in that, as Userland was originally Dave's company. This is all part of the general push/pull between open source efforts and commercial software. Clearly, a political campaign doesn't want to spend money on technology; like a movie, a campaign is a short-lived business, and it doesn't need to spend money on ancillary things. On the other hand, I can see where companies can get upset over this; we face open source alternatives to Cincom Smalltalk all the time.

Where I part company from Dave on this one is simple - companies like Userland (et. al.) should have considered approaching the various campaigns with free usage in exchange for publicity deals. There wasn't going to be license money from any campaign - but there could easily have been free PR. That in turn could have meant license revenue from others who saw the product being promoted that way. This wasn't a failed business opportunity; it was a missed marketing opportunity

Read: Open Source in Politics

Topic: Character encodings Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Merry Christmas indeed!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use