The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Of editors and development

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Of editors and development Posted: Dec 19, 2003 1:09 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Of editors and development
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Gordon Weakliem chimes in on the topic of editors and development tools:

I've suspected for a long time that many, if not the majority, of developers at Microsoft, at least on product teams, don't use Visual Studio. I'd bet that most devs at Sun don't use SunOne, or whatever they call it these days, either.

What aggravates me about Eclipse is that sometimes, you just need to edit a file; in Eclipse, the file has to be part of a project. I know that this helps avoid problems where you end up with resources that aren't source controlled, but it's still too restrictive for me.

This is starting to look a lot like a cultural issue to me. We Smalltalk developers have been known to say (and I'm sure others find it annoying): "Source code in files. How quaint". There's a reason we say that though - in Smalltalk - unlike most other environments - the development environment is the deployment environment and vice versa. There are no files to aggregate, edit, and compile; there's the image (yes, I know some Smalltalks are different; I'm talking about the more commonly used ones). What that does is create a very different development world view. Additionally, our methods tend to be short - for me, methods longer than 7-10 lines of code start to positively smell. How does that tie in? Well, just how powerful does the editor need to be when you are dealing with 7-10 lines (at most) most of the time? Not very. This is one of the reasons that power tools like Emacs just bore me; The Smalltalk environment is more programmable, and I'm not dealing with large amounts of text anyway.

Bottom line, I think the folks dealing with curly brace languages have a different view of development from Smalltalkers, and part of it involves needing/wanting a more powerful editor.

Read: Of editors and development

Topic: Dev Stream updates Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Light blogging

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use