The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
McNealy is 'spooky smart'?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
McNealy is 'spooky smart'? Posted: Dec 14, 2003 11:50 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: McNealy is 'spooky smart'?
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Thornton May at Computerworld has a weird idea:

Herein lies the disconnect. McNealy and his senior team are spooky smart and have thought hard and long about how our industry works. The top of the house at Sun has architected a plausible, affordable and practical alternative path to the Microsoft hegemony.

Unfortunately, this message isn't the one being delivered by the Sun sales force, which is perceived by most IT leaders as being little more than coin-operated box sellers. Sun's sales force is the least influential and respected of all the major vendors.

This is just too amusing. So Sun's sales guys are selling the wrong stuff, and it's because they lack vision? Let me explain something very, very simple about sales reps - they sell based on their compensation plans - i.e., they try to sell what will best reward them. Who sets those rewards? Why, that would be senior management - you know, those guys that Thornton May seems to think are Spooky Smart. So smart, in fact, that they have set up the sales compensation plans so as to prevent the sales of the things they claim to want to sell. Do I know this for a fact? No, I haven't seen the Sun comp plans. However, I have worked with direct sales staff for years, and I know how they operate. If Sun's reps aren't selling something - across the board - then it's an artifact of their compensation plans

I think Thornton May needs to go find a different set of adjectives to describe Sun's management.

Read: McNealy is 'spooky smart'?

Topic: Crime fighting blogs? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Smee (ECMAScript in Smalltalk) Improvements

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use