The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
On testing

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
On testing Posted: Dec 7, 2003 5:26 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: On testing
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Ryan Lowe quotes Beck on testing:

"You should test things that might break. If code is so simple that it can't possibly break, and you measure that the code in question doesn't actually break in practise, then you shouldn't write a test for it. If I told you to test absolutely everything, pretty soon you would realize that most of the tests you were writing were valueless, and, if you were at all like me, you would stop writing them."

He brings this up as part of this discussion from last week on testing. I'm not sure that this makes the point Ryan wants it to make; seems to me it's just a bit of pragmatism. People, (being people), are not going to engage in activity they see as value free (see any of the heavily paper driven methodologies, for instance). It all depends on how you interpret "code that is so simple that it can't possibly break". Unfortunately, lots of people are going to classify things that way that they shouldn't (for the same reason that so much code out there doesn't check to see if a file i/o operation worked). If this is what Ryan meant, then sure, it's a call for caution - but it's also a call to apply common sense

Read: On testing

Topic: Sarcastic, I hope? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: who do I blame?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use