The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Politically driven rewrites - bad idea

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Politically driven rewrites - bad idea Posted: Nov 5, 2003 12:43 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Politically driven rewrites - bad idea
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Here's yet another example of a politically driven rewrite - one that is not taking account of user requirements - and why they are a bad idea:

Earlier this year, I put into production a new part of the UI system, using HotDraw. It allows the users to link two accounts by putting them into a "map" and drawing a line from one to the other. This causes a database update, cache refresh, yada yada yada. Users love it.

We have another project going on, our UI rewrite. This is being redone in Java, with a Web front end. It has to be done using the "anointed toolset", nothing else. I've known this was coming, which was the main reason I did the HotDraw thing. This is driving the Java guys nuts, because they don't have a similar tool with whatever cheezy toolset they're using. My users look at what they have, and say "But how come I can't just draw a line from one to the other like in the old system?"

My favorite complaint is "But you promised us we'd have everything we have now." They say "I meant you'd have everything you had at the time I promised it, not everything that'll ever exist."

And IT people wonder why there's so little sympathy for their jobs getting outsourced. When you utterly ignore users for years at a time, what do you expect?

Read: Politically driven rewrites - bad idea

Topic: refactoring? NO! It's NOT! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Adding Columns to a DataSet

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use