The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Re: How to Program

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Re: How to Program Posted: Nov 4, 2003 9:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Re: How to Program
Feed Title: Richard Demers Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rademers-rss.xml
Feed Description: Richard Demers on Smalltalk
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Richard Demers Blog

Advertisement
Spotted in Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants.

I was taught to program the way Phil Graham was, but in the late 1960's, there was no alternative. One laboriously drew flow charts, and wrote code onto green and white pads of paper before key punching the program into a deck of cards. I worked like this for many years, first in FORTRAN and then in PL/I. Debugging consisted of loading the card deck into a station wagon for an overnight trip across the Hudson River, and pouring over a listing the next morning, only to repeat this slow cycle. Then, computer time was expensive, but mine was cheap. It was a slow process, but I still managed to get the job done, and in the process learned to be REAL careful every step of the way.

Needless to say, I don't program that way anymore. The balance has changed, with computer time incredibly cheap, but programmer time dear. Like Phil, I often explore ideas as I code, playing with designs as I code and debug. Fortunately, I now use a language - Smalltalk - that enables and encourages this kind of exploration. But old habits die hard. I still tend to spend a lot of up-front time on design, and I still tend to be real careful. I'm not convinced that you can produce good code otherwise. I've seen too many examples of hack-work to believe otherwise.

Read: Re: How to Program

Topic: Blogging, and (job) security Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Suggested projects

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use