The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
learning by driving

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Kevin Rutherford

Nickname: spinach

Kevin Rutherford is an independent agile software development coach based in the UK
learning by driving Posted: Dec 10, 2006 1:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Kevin Rutherford.
Original Post: learning by driving
Feed Title: silk and spinach
Feed URL: http://silkandspinach.net/blog/index.xml
Feed Description: kevin rutherford on agile software development and life in macclesfield
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Kevin Rutherford
Latest Posts From silk and spinach

Advertisement

I've recently been TDD-ing on a project in which I had to very quickly come to understand a lot of new technology (libraries, development tools, target environment, patterns, techniques). Pair programming with a local expert was the natural approach, but it wasn't working particularly well until I started doing the driving. I did learn a little while my partner (the expert) had the keyboard, but it's not easy staying alert and focussed when you understand very little of what is happening. On the other hand, as the driver I was much more engaged; and my partner was perforce more engaged in helping me understand. I'm sure it must have been frustrating for him having to tell me even the simplest stuff, but after only a short time I found I was able to contribute more and more to the task. I'm still a long way behind my partner's expertise, and yet I feel we can now work reasonably effectively as a pair.

I'll try to remember this next time I'm the one with the knowledge: let the novice learn by driving.

Read: learning by driving

Topic: Scott Ambler keynote Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: More Or Less Ramblings

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use