The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
XPDAY2006: Love in the Age of Software

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Simon Baker

Nickname: sjb140470

Simon Baker is an independent consultant, agile coach and scrum master
XPDAY2006: Love in the Age of Software Posted: Nov 28, 2006 8:25 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Simon Baker.
Original Post: XPDAY2006: Love in the Age of Software
Feed Title: Agile In Action
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AgileInAction
Feed Description: Energized Work's blog.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Simon Baker
Latest Posts From Agile In Action

Advertisement
For the past two days I've been at XP Day 2006. This morning I arrived at Ironmongers Hall on autopilot and took a seat for the keynote speech, not yet fully awake. I was woken sharply by noise; a lot of it. The session, Love in the Age of Software by Robert Biddle and James Noble had started.

It was a truly bizarre session in terms of its style. Lots of noise, music, presenters talking over one another, repeating what the other had said to simulate some kind of echo. I was confused at times and just couldn't figure out what was being said, but I eventually tuned in and was able to follow along. That said, credit goes to the presenters for doing something different. It played out as a tumultuous conversation between the two presenters, who dropped in and out of different characters. I thought getting us all to stand up and recite the Agile Manifesto, like the Lord's Prayer, was worth a chuckle. As was the short dialogue about which is more macho, a train wreck or a death march.

I liked the direction they were taking when they declared their distaste for wimpy agile:
  • System metaphor: Most neglected practice - EXPUNGED.
  • Onsite customer: Apparently impractical and unrealistic - EXCUSED.
  • User stories: Promise to have conversations - AUTOMATED.
  • Planning game: Embrace change .. but not for us - RESISTED.
Red bar, green bar was a recurring theme as they explored the relationship between the customer and the developers, and how their perception of events and outcomes differ. For example, developers may see project results as technical success while the customers see business failure.

The essential message was this: If the customer and the developers don't love one another then the agile magic cannot happen.

Tags:

Read: XPDAY2006: Love in the Age of Software

Topic: Smalltalk Video Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Where there's a will...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use