The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Object Oriented Assembly Language - Len Dorfman

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Object Oriented Assembly Language - Len Dorfman Posted: Nov 10, 2006 7:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Object Oriented Assembly Language - Len Dorfman
Feed Title: Michael Lucas-Smith
Feed URL: http://www.michaellucassmith.com/site.atom
Feed Description: Smalltalk and my misinterpretations of life
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Michael Lucas-Smith

Advertisement

I'm half way through reading Len Dorfman's "Object Oriented Assembly Language". It's a fun read - very old. The guy doesn't quite understand OO, but he does a good job of applying what he does know to Assembly Language.

In that sense, it's really fun to see another take on OO and to see it applied to something you normally wouldn't consider applying OO too. His code is simpler, that's for sure, but it's simpler in the same way that writing C is simpler than writing Assembly.

I have two really fun quotes from the book:

"OOPS defenders rebound and note that in a world on precipice of throngs of 8 meg 33 Mz 386 screamers, program size and execution speed no longer matter."

and:

"SAMPLE1.EXE links to 523 bytes. Before you gasp that the program is as large as it is, keep in mind that the EXE header size is 512 bytes at its smallest. If you take 512 bytes from 523 bytes you get 11 bytes, which is certainly a reasonable size for the code in the code segment."

Heh, I love it. It's amazing how the same arguments still apply - just scaled up, say, 100x for CPU and 256x for memory.

Read: Object Oriented Assembly Language - Len Dorfman

Topic: I'm shocked, shocked... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Which legal regime?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use