The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
the wrong duplication

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Kevin Rutherford

Nickname: spinach

Kevin Rutherford is an independent agile software development coach based in the UK
the wrong duplication Posted: Nov 5, 2006 2:12 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Kevin Rutherford.
Original Post: the wrong duplication
Feed Title: silk and spinach
Feed URL: http://silkandspinach.net/blog/index.xml
Feed Description: kevin rutherford on agile software development and life in macclesfield
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Kevin Rutherford
Latest Posts From silk and spinach

Advertisement

Here's something I've seen many times in code right across the spectrum, and which I caught myself doing just the other day. It seems to occur particularly often in codebases that weren't TDD'd, and which haven't been kept lean with regular refactoring...

Imagine a codebase in which one particular text string occurs frequently. The string may be some kind of message header, for example, or an XML tag (both of these examples are usually accompanied by another repeated string, representing the message footer or the closing tag). As the codebase grows, you notice the string popping up more and more frequently, until the "duplication" bell goes off. What to do?

It turns out we've all been taught the answer: Create a manifest constant (a #define or a static final String or whatever, depending on the language), thereby giving the common string a name, and replace all instances of the string by use of the manifest. There's even a name for this refactoring in Martin Fowler's catalogue: Replace Magic Number With Symbolic Constant. Duplication sorted, right? Wrong!

Continue reading...

Read: the wrong duplication

Topic: FeatureDevotion Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Neologism

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use