The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Agile Estimating: How long is an ideal day?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Dave Churchville

Nickname: dchurchv

Dave Churchville is a 15 year software industry veteran in both development and management roles
Agile Estimating: How long is an ideal day? Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:10 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Dave Churchville.
Original Post: Agile Estimating: How long is an ideal day?
Feed Title: Agile Project Planning
Feed URL: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/AgileProjectPlanning
Feed Description: Thoughts on agile project planning, Extreme programming, and other software development topics
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Dave Churchville
Latest Posts From Agile Project Planning

Advertisement
About seven years ago, my first attempt at doing an estimate using agile terminology went something like this:

Me: "OK, I estimate this functionality at about 3 ideal weeks of effort"
Boss: "Uh...what is that in calendar time?"
Me: "Well, er, it's complicated, it depends on team velocity and planetary motion"
Boss: "Great, can you tell me by tomorrow?"

After doing some reading and thinking, I decided an ideal week was something like a "man-week", adjusting for daily distractions. For most people I've worked with, this adjustment factor (called a "load factor" in the original XP books...yikes) is somewhere between 0.5 and 0.7.

In fact, some studies suggest that the maximum productive time for most workers is five hours, regardless of how much time they spend in the office. Work that requires intense concentration, like say, software development, is more prone to productivity loss from distractions, phone calls, etc.

In other words, an ideal week for a single developer looks a lot like half of a "man-week". Looked at differently, a developer has a capacity (or velocity) of 0.5 ideal weeks per calendar week, or for a two-week iteration, about one week of ideal effort.

So a team of four developers of roughly equal capability would be able to implement about two ideal weeks worth of estimated effort in an iteration (of 2 weeks).

Another popular method of estimating agile user stories is to use a point system to measure the relative size. By using points, a team can estimate the size of a story relative to other user stories.

A 2-point story is twice as difficult to implement as a one point story, and a 4-point story is twice as hard again.

Personally, I tend to prefer the ideal time units, since it's easier to explain to customers, but I have heard reports that point systems have had good results as well after the initial confusion.

How do you estimate and why?

For more on agile tools and techniques: http://www.extremeplanner.com
(Tags: , )

Read: Agile Estimating: How long is an ideal day?

Topic: Smalltalk Daily: 10/30/06 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Does your product suck eggs?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use