The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jared Richardson

Nickname: jaredr

Jared Richardson is an author, speaker, and consultant who enjoys working with Ruby and Rails.
Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way! Posted: Oct 26, 2006 10:06 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Jared Richardson.
Original Post: Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way!
Feed Title: Jared's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.jaredrichardson.net/blog/index.rss
Feed Description: Jared's weblog. The web site was created after the launch of the book "Ship It!" and discusses issues from Continuous Integration to web hosting providers.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Jared Richardson
Latest Posts From Jared's Weblog

Advertisement

Twice this week I heard people asking why they couldn't convince their teams to adopt a new and "better" practice. They were both quite frustrated at how stubborn their teams were acting.

They had collected statistics, written memos, and lectured everyone. Repeatedly.

Wow... I wonder why their best efforts were failing? (That's a bit of sarcasm there folks.)

It always amazes me when an otherwise intelligent person tries to talk someone into a behaviour change.

People, you can't. You just can't. If you missed, my earlier comment, you can't talk someone into changing.

You have to show them. If you want to change your shop, you can't do it on the lecture circuit.

I'm not opposed to selling a concept. You can introduce topics in a talk or an email. Share all you like. Bring in a speaker. Heck, bring in me. :)

But as the old saying goes, talk is cheap. Back up the talk with some work.

If you want everyone to see how great Test Driven Development is, show them. Work alongside them. Invest your time... add a little sweat equity.

Do you think Continuous Integration is a good idea? Get it running yourself.

In a nutshell, don't tell people how to change. Show them.

There are two huge benefits to this approach.

First, you move from the position of an academic trying to educate the poor huddled masses and you become a co-worker. Maybe even a friend. You can build esprit de corps when you work alongside someone. Relationships are rarely built from a lecturn or a memo.

Second, you'll see first hand whether or not the practice actually works. Seriously. Not every great idea you've got actually works in every shop. :) Really, it's true.

I've seen a number of people harvest an idea from this process or that methodology and try to make it fit in their shop. But they never stop to see if it actually fits.

So take the time... no, strike that. Take your own time to try out the new practice. See if it works for yourself. Prove that it works to your team.

Lead by example. It's what you're aleady doing, you just didn't realize it.

Jared

Read: Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way!

Topic: Richard Dawkins, Faith Based Evangelist Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use