The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
*Cough* Dynamic *Cough*

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
*Cough* Dynamic *Cough* Posted: Oct 18, 2006 2:30 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: *Cough* Dynamic *Cough*
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

There's Dynamic as done in Java, and then there's the real thing, as I do it in my blog server all the time (just this morning, in fact). Code that didn't exist when I first wrote the server? No problem. Replacing methods as the server runs? No problem. Creating new code and just loading it? How do you think the recent addition of iTunes tag support (necessary before I could get the podcasts listed in iTunes and other podcast directories) loaded? I wrote the code, tested it, and had the server load the results. Suddenly the RSS generator was dropping new meta information out.

Here's an old post on how I do the same thing in a client. On the server, the steps are as follows:

• Create new code in my test environment
  • Once it works, export the diffs between the old version and the new one (i.e. a Smalltalk file-in for patches to existing code, or a new parcel for completely new stuff)
  • On the server, create a small script to load the changes
  • Hit the script, have the changes load. On the fly, as the server runs

That's it. No need to write code in some custom fashion to deal with things that didn't exist before - the Smalltalk system just accepts that they're there, and deals with it. This is yet another example of the mental cruft you have to deal with in a language like Java. In Smalltalk, that cruft just doesn't exist.

I'll be over here, being productive. You Java guys can read the multi-page post on how to do the same thing in your world :)

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Read: *Cough* Dynamic *Cough*

Topic: The October Cincom Smalltalk Digest is up Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: RSS Feeds

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use