The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Random Thought

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Random Thought Posted: Oct 10, 2006 4:54 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Random Thought
Feed Title: Travis Griggs - Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/travis-rss.xml
Feed Description: This TAG Line is Extra
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Travis Griggs - Blog

Advertisement

I had a random thought yesterday about programming in general. It's rare. But it happens. I realized a correlation between code frameworks that "feel right" and books that I enjoy reading. All stories have characters. Stories that I usually like the most are those that have a modest number of interoperating characters. Some novels have a huge number of characters (or maybe terms); War and Peace comes to mind. The Otherland series (gag) by Tad Williams. The Master and Commmander series (not so much characters, but terms and concepts). All of these were difficult to read. I actually like the 1st and 3rd. But it didn't mean they weren't work to read through. They remind me of object frameworks with lots of different object types. There may be value in them. But its hard to keep track of the story. It just exceeds the human mind's capacity to hold a comfortable number of variables in the mind.

Then there's the novel which revolves around pretty much character. Usually shallow. Clancy novels at the peak of Jack WhatsHisName's career. Battlefield Earth by Hubbard. One character does it all. And you interface with everyone through that one character. These are like those "main()" programs we all complain about. One function. The main function. That's it. Or the Main object. They just dont feel as rich and robust as the multi character counterparts.

Then there's the well written story that revolves around a couple main characters, each contributing a valuable part. Shakespeare for me. And many others.

These are of course grand generalizations, but it was kind of fun to think about the parallels, between what I consider enganging literature and engaging code.

Read: Random Thought

Topic: In the Confident Hope of a Miracle Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Our image based future

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use