The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Drawing the wrong conclusion

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Drawing the wrong conclusion Posted: Oct 4, 2006 5:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Drawing the wrong conclusion
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Scoble draws the wrong conclusion:

It reminded me of the time when I worked the counter at LZ Premiums in San Jose. A guy came in with ratty jeans and a T-shirt. I treated him the same way I treated all the suits that came in. He noted that and bought a nice camera system. Later, after he kept coming back in and buying a lot of stuff, I learned he was worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Said that I was the first sales guy who treated him well, which is why he brought his business back to me.
Last night I saw it again. I wore my standard jeans and T-shirt to a press meeting hosted by Become.com (a cool shopping search engine, they released a research report that found that people liked their shopping search engine better than Google). Everyone else was dressed up.

It's not a "statement" to go to a nice place dressed down. I used to think so, when I was in my teens and 20s, but I grew up. I don't much care for suits and ties, so I try to avoid going to places where they'll be required - but I wear them when they are expected. Thinking it's somehow "speaking truth to power" to dress down when a suit is expected is just childish.

Now, I'm hardly perfect on that score, but in my case, it's due to a different personality flaw: I just don't pay enough attention. More than once, I've had to buy a tie after arriving somewhere by plane :)

Read: Drawing the wrong conclusion

Topic: Stupid simulated point of the day Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Update on the STIC Smalltalk screencast

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use