The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
SUnitToo: The Pragmatic Tester

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
SUnitToo: The Pragmatic Tester Posted: Oct 2, 2006 2:55 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: SUnitToo: The Pragmatic Tester
Feed Title: Travis Griggs - Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/travis-rss.xml
Feed Description: This TAG Line is Extra
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Travis Griggs - Blog

Advertisement

OK, for once, I like the name "pragmas", because I could use it for a fun blog title.

There's a new version of SUnitToo up in the Open Repository which allows one to specify a <test> method annotation. It works alongside the testMethodName convention. So you can use either convention. Of course, there's a new version of ExtraRBForSUnitToo as well.

I thought I'd try this, because other's have shown interest in it. I didn't think I'd take to it. I used TestTokenTest to actually try it out, and must say I actually liked it. I worried that it wouldn't be instantaneously obvious what was a test method and what wasn't. But with the test icons, you know instantly. So a version where all test methods are done via annotation rather than prefixing may be forthcoming.

Along with this change, I decided to simplify the whole shouldInheritSelectors stuff. This got kind of added on piece by piece to the original SUnit and I wasn't really satisfied with it. Upon reflection, it seems that any time you're creating extra subclass layers, you're doing so for abstraction's sake. So I've simply made it the case that any TestCase's "testSelectors" are all test methods (by annotation or prefix convention) between it and TestCase. No one really cares if a class isAbstract, except the UI. That was simplified to simply be a query based on whether the class has subclasses. If this gives anyone headaches, I'd love to hear about it. And work towards a solution.

There's a couple of things that are on the future road map for this stuff:

1. Cease using TestToken as a "test proxy", and use MethodDefinition instead. It has the ability to specify both receiving class and implementing class.
  2. Modify the UI to automagically set visibility up to (but not including) TestCase when browsing TestCase subclasses.
  3. Modify AllTestStatus, so that inherited tests work right in the browser
  4. .

Read: SUnitToo: The Pragmatic Tester

Topic: The great battery recall Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: An interview with Chip Dice

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use