The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Seeing Sound

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Vanessa Williams

Nickname: vwilliams

Vanessa Williams is CTO and Chief Architect of oponia networks
Seeing Sound Posted: Oct 2, 2006 11:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Vanessa Williams.
Original Post: Seeing Sound
Feed Title: fridgebuzz
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/fridgebuzz
Feed Description: Pointers on software, art, math, noise, and other obsessions.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Vanessa Williams
Latest Posts From fridgebuzz

Advertisement

Ernst Chladni invented a way of visualizing the vibrations on a metal plate by sprinkling sand on the plate and making it vibrate using a violin bow. The sand scatters and collects at the places where the plate is not vibrating (the nodes of vibration), creating a fascinating family of visual patterns. The images below are artistic renderings of some of the many possible patterns. See more at the U Of T Physics Department and more gory details on the math from Paul Bourke—including some visualizations of what Chladni patterns in three dimensions would look like.

[Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a good applet which demonstrates this behaviour. (Sounds like a perfect project for proce55ing!) If anyone knows of a nice visual demonstration, please let me know and I'll update this entry.]

Categories: ,

Read: Seeing Sound

Topic: Profiling Smalltalk Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Screencast Central

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use