The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
WinFS in LongHorn - SQL Server on every desk?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
WinFS in LongHorn - SQL Server on every desk? Posted: Oct 17, 2003 1:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: WinFS in LongHorn - SQL Server on every desk?
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
So I'm reading this story about WinFS on CNet, and come across this quote from an MS VP:

NTFS is only one component of the revamped storage system in WinFS. Another key building block is the querying capabilities of Microsoft's SQL Server relational database, according to Microsoft. WinFS also will incorporate the data labeling capabilities of Extensible Markup Language (XML), Muglia said.

"Think of WinFS as pulling together relational database technology, XML database technology, and file streaming that a file system has," he said. "It's a (storage) format that is agnostic, that is independent of the application."

So reading between the lines there - does this mean that Longhorn will ship with an embedded SQL Server - and that all file system activity will generate database records (which would then facilitate searching)? That's what it sounds like to me. I could be wrong; it's just the first thing that popped at me. One things for sure - if I'm right, that will require larger disk drives. I wonder if you'll be able to turn that off?

Read: WinFS in LongHorn - SQL Server on every desk?

Topic: The Fabric of Reality by David Deutsch Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Keeping Your Versions In a Line

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use