The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Screw those Partners

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Screw those Partners Posted: Sep 19, 2006 12:09 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Screw those Partners
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I mentioned the fact that MS was hosing their partners and customers down the other day with the release of the Zune player - "plays for sure" simply doesn't. From the EFF:

This is a stark example of DRM under the DMCA giving customers a raw deal. Buying DRMed media means you're locked into the limited array of devices that vendors say you can use. You have to rebuy your preexisting DRMed media collection if you want to use it on the Zune. And you'll have to do that over and over again whenever a new, incompatible device with innovative features blows existing players out of the water. Access to MP3s and non-DRMed formats creates the only bridge between these isolated islands of limited devices.

So this is a twofer: if you have been buying music from an MS partner, Microsoft just screwed you over. Likewise, if you made the mistake of being an MS partner, you now wonder what that splitting pain your backside is.

This has got to be one of the most bone-headed PR mis-moves I recall a company making purposely. It's one thing to be accidentally stupid - this is willful stupidity.

Not just stupidity, either - people who have "plays for sure" music are sitting in a legally suspect situation. If you use software to bypass the old DRM, you're going to run afoul of the DMCA. Will you be prosecuted or sued? I'm not sure I'd want to take the no side of that bet, given the way the RIAA has been operating over the last few years.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Read: Screw those Partners

Topic: Microsoft to Customers: Drop Dead Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What's Next? Hamburgers?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use