The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Silly Security, Part II

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Silly Security, Part II Posted: Sep 9, 2006 4:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Silly Security, Part II
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

On my way out to ESUG, I ran into bozo security at BWI - including being told that the list of banned items is classified (never mind that you can view that list online, here). Well, not to be outdone, the security folks at Heathrow have also removed their capacity for thought.

Consider two things:

• In Prague, the fellow in line in front of me had a huge bottle of orange soda in his laptop bag. No problem - on the plane to the UK he went. Apparently, bad actors only care about flights between the US and the UK
  • At Heathrow, I arrived with my laptop bag and a small paper bag. The bag held my headphones and camera bag, because I didn't want to crush either one. Nope: one bag limit. I could carry my book, drape the headphones around my neck, and stuff the camera into my laptop bag, so long as I only had one bag. What that did to improve security, I have no idea.

Here's the really stupid part about all this. The bozo security checks generate huge lines outside the secure area. What do you call a huge mass of people that have been herded into a central area, where there's no security check? I don't know what the morons at TSA call it, or what the equivalent set of morons in the UK call it, but I call it a target waiting for a bad actor to notice it.

Technorati Tags: ,

Read: Silly Security, Part II

Topic: Around the Hotel Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Innovation Awards at ESUG

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use